RANCHER ON TOP OF THE WORLD! Perched high on a rock in desirable Dean Park with breathtaking ocean & mountain views. Featuring over 3500 sqft on one level with a bright o...
Courtesy of Royal LePage Coast Capital - Chatterton
OPEN HOUSE Sunday March 3rd, 2:00-4:00pm! Executive residence, or ideal retirement haven, this immaculate 3-bed, 2-bath rancher in Dean Park Estates is nestled on a quiet...
Courtesy of DFH Real Estate - Sidney
Award winning architectural masterpiece on the ocean, by Zebra Designs. Gated entry estate is the epitome of excellence. Grand foyer displays walls of glass framing dynam...
Courtesy of Engel & Volkers Vancouver Island
Embrace the epitome of luxury in our top-floor, corner penthouse at Regatta Park, just moments from Sidney. Designed with modern elegance, this 2-bedroom haven boasts soa...
Courtesy of The Agency
Looking for an abundance of living space, additional income, peace and quiet? Visit this unique home at the base of Dean Park Drive. Superb views to Haro Strait, Mount Ba...
Courtesy of Pemberton Holmes - Cloverdale
S/W exposure offers a peaceful view of the greens of the soccer pitch & plenty of sunshine. TOP-floor comes complete w/vaulted ceiling, an open concept & a feature gas fi...
Courtesy of Royal LePage Coast Capital - Sidney
Charming Arts & Crafts custom-built home with unobstructed westward views of OCEAN & MOUNTAINS! Endless attention to detail & high-level finishing with loads of recent up...
Courtesy of RE/MAX Camosun
Nestled in the heart of Deep Cove, this enchanting 5-acre estate is a serene escape. The property boasts a flourishing vineyard on gently sloping land, complemented by an...
Courtesy of Holmes Realty Ltd
2020 built "Dwell Magazine" inspired home on a beautifully landscaped 1.1 acre property in the district of North Saanich. Conceptually thoughtful in design and executed w...
Courtesy of Sotheby's International Realty Canada
The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.
WILLIAM THOMSON the second white man to settle in Saanich is the pioneer who should be given the pre-eminence over all the others. Unlike many of the early settlers, he really proved the possibilities of the future and his work and diligence set the pattern for the district. He is also listed on the 185 9 voters' list as having a freehold farm of 200 acres named " Bannockburn." Mt. Newton Cross Road now runs by the farm and the house, which William Thomson built for his large family.
In truth it can be said that he was the first real farmer in Saanich. William Thomson was a Scotsman. He was born in 1829 and died in 1908, aged seventy-nine years. He was a shipwright by trade. At the age of nineteen he signed as a ships' carpenter on a freighter taking supplies to the Crimea for the army fighting in the Crimean Campaign. News of the California gold rush induced him to ship aboard a vessel bound for San Francisco. He worked at this port caulking vessels. He was paid $50.00 a side. It was good money but he had the urge to move onward so again shipped on a vessel bound for Vancouver's Island. The ship was named S.S. "William." On New Year's Eve 1854 this ship piled up on the rocks near Clo-oose and sank.
In 1861 he trekked across the 20 plains to California in the covered wagon mode of those days. He arrived in Sacramento when that district was experiencing a flood. Hearing of the Cariboo strike he sold some of his horses. He kept four and landed with them in Victoria. He went to work with his horses on the old Esquimalt Road. After saving enough money he sold his horses and headed for the Cariboo, where he bought an interest in the famous Raby Claim on Williams Creek. After two years he sold out his claims and came back to Victoria and decided to settle in the district. He went out into the Saanich district and bought a farm originally owned by a H. B. C. doctor by the name of Tuzo. It was being operated then by a man named Fronton, probably on a rental basis, as he does not appear on a voters' list of that period. This man planted a fifteen-acre apple orchard. The farm consisted of five hundred acres and William Turgoose paid $10.00 an acre for it. The northwest corner of this land is the centre of Saanichton. It stretched east to the Indian Reserve and south to the Michell farm. Part of it is now called the Saanichton Farm. while another part of it is owned by a grandson, Willard Michell. After purchasing the farm Turgoose made a trip to England, then back again to Illinois to marry his sweetheart, Emma Pope, then back to Saanich in 1865 to finally settle down.
He bred purebred horses of the Morgan strain and introduced the Durham or Shorthorn breed of cattle. The progeny of the horses were in demand by the livery stables, while progeny from his cattle became the foundation stock for many cattle ranchers. William Turgoose died in 1885, but his wife survived him till 1922. They had a family of seven children, one boy Fred, and six daughters. The first child Fanny remained a spinster. Emma married a building contractor by the name of Merkley. Annie married W. D. Michell of the pioneer Michell family. Carrie became Mrs. Pope. Mr. Pope was a sawmill man. Lottie was the wife of Bob Stewart, a miner. Stewart, B.C., is named after him. Winnie married Jack Brooks, son of Henry James Brooks, who had bought the old Deeks Farm, or Logana Farms of later years. William Turgoose did not occupy any civic positions but he was keenly interested in the development of the district and gave the land for the first South Saanich school. The proviso 21 of the gift was that it could only be used for educational purposes. The land still belongs to the school district, but the school itself was abandoned many years ago. More of this elsewhere. There was also a Post Office established at the Turgoose place, the forerunner of the Saanichton P.O.
THOMAS POTTER bought 100 acres of land from Jackson Estes in what is now called the Michell Valley, about half-way along Telegraph Road. From there it ran down to the sea. He does not appear to have done much farming, for in a few years he sold his farm and eventually started a brewery business in Victoria. JOHN DAWSON bought the Potter farm in 1878. He had been mining around Cassiar, where he made enough money to pay Potter six thousand dollars in cash for the property. Dawson married a Mary Munro, daughter of a pioneer of James Island. He was killed on the Brethour farm at Sidney. His horses, which were attached to a binder, became frightened and dragged the machine over him. This was probably the first farm machine fatality in the Province of B.C. It was a tragic end to what promised to be a career of usefulness to the community.
He was a member of the old fraternity of A.O.U.W. The members of this association paid him a glowing written memorial tribute. Mrs. Dawson later married Robert Anderson. A daughter of the marriage, Miss Christina Anderson, and a Dawson son, George, still live on the old Dawson farm, but much of the original farm has been subdivided and sold. GEORGE STEPHEN BUTLER. born in 1834, in the county of Hampshire, England, was the son of a clergyman. He was educated at Oxford University. In 1854 he joined the army. England was at war with Russia so, with his unit, the 17th Light Infantry, he went to the Crimea. He rose to the rank of Captain and was wounded in the siege of Sebastopol. After the war his regiment was posted to Quebec. Even though on the other side of Canada, news had reached this distant point of the Cariboo gold.
He sold his commission, returned to England and booked passage on a sailing ship. "The Shannon." It is not clear where he left the ship, but it is known that he crossed the Panama Isthmus and then took a boat for San Francisco and thence to Victoria, arriving here in 1861 and then on to the Fraser River to the goldfields. He spent six 22 years seeking the elusive metal, meeting with varying success. In 1868 he returned to Victoria where, it appears, he had a date with a young lady by the name of Miss Fanny Catherine Brett, who was also from Hampshire, England. She was born in 184 3. They were married on March 17th, 1868. Mrs. Butler had been a governess in England. She was also an accomplished pianist. Educationists were scarce in those days, consequently her services were immediately sought by William Thomson of Bannockburn who. with others, had built a school on his land on what is now the Mt. Newton Cross Road.
THOMAS LOWE. On the 1861 assessment roll this man owned all the land on the north side of Mills Road to what is now the John Road and linked up to the east with the 51 Booth, later the Johns, farm. It was later purchased by WILLIAM EDWARDS. Neither of these men appear to have resided on the property or did much improvement on it. Neither of these names appear on the voters' list, but in 1874 WILLIAM CLARK is shown as residing on this property and it was he who made it into a farm. GEORGE MILLS was a native of Fermanagh County, Ireland. He came to the Coast in the early sixties and immediately went to the gold fields, or perhaps one should say the creeks, for it was at Lightning Creek he purchased part of a claim. Two of his partners were Brackman and Roberts who, by the way, were neighbors of his in North Saanich. After his return from the gold mining venture he married Miss Ann Nicholson, daughter of Joseph Nicholson, a pioneer of the Lake District. He had purchased the Arlington farm from the Horths which, as we have observed, consisted of most of the westerly half of today's Patricia Bay Airport. A good farmer, he was noted for his high class cattle. It is said that he was the first man to raise turkeys on a commercial scale. He gave the land for the church and cemetery of Holy Trinity Church at Patricia Bay. It was called Union Bay then. Mills Road is named after him. It was ironical that he should be the first person to be buried in Holy Trinity Cemetery.
The cause of death was diagnosed as "inflammation of the bowels," which today we know as appendicitis. He was fifty-three when he died. Their children were Robert Francis, Evis Jane (Mrs. C. Mcllmoyle), Sarah Anne, Catherine (Mrs. Menzies), Ina (Mrs. Clapham). MOSES, ROWDEN and MARCUS WALTER were colored men who owned land north of Brookleigh Road. Rowden is on the South Saanich voters' list of 1875 to 1882 as a farmer near Elk Lake, but Marcus Walter is on the Lake District list. Little information can be gathered about these men. It is said they were neighbors of a man called Dupont. DUPONT, first name unknown, was a big, tall Frenchman. He was a charcoal burner. He had a good market for this in Victoria when the Chinese citizens were allowed to make opium. At one time he was supposed to have been a rich man and a street in San Francisco is named after him. He never appeared on any voters' list, even if he owned land. He is buried in the Catholic cemetery.
Henry Simpson was from Kent, England, and his wife, Adelaide, was from Essex, England. There is a possibility that Henry Simpson, who was first employed as a baker for the H.B.C. was in Victoria for some time and then returned to England for his wife. They are on the records as having arrived on the ship "Norman Morison" in January, 1853. They both worked for the H.B.C. for a time before coming out to Saanich, he as a baker and she as a laundress. They had a family all told of fourteen children, some of whom died young. Those who grew up in the district are Henry J., Mary Ann (Mrs. Mcllmoyle), Sarah (Mrs. Patterson), William, Edward, George, Charles, Emma (Mrs. Malcolm), Albert James, Adelaide (Mrs. Wain). JOHN COLES also appears on the 1859 voters' list for Saanich District.
He had 50 acres freehold near Coles' Harbor which was named after him. He was born in London, England. He was a midshipman on H.M.S. Thetis, which was stationed for a time at Esquimalt and later took part in the Crimean War. He returned to Vancouver Island in 1857 and bought more land. In 1861 he was assessed for 514 acres ( west half of the airport). He does not appear to have done much in an agricultural way as we find him living on Broughton Street in 1864. He was the first Member of the Legislature for Saanich. He returned to England in 1866. There was a question as to whether Mark Coles, who also gave his birthplace as London, was a brother of John Coles. He is shown on the assessment roll of 1864 as having ownership of 299 acres. He died of heart disease in the St. George Hotel, View Street, Victoria, March 13th, 1865, age 28. There was some fuss in the papers concerning his death. WILLIAM TOWNER was a pioneer hop grower of North Saanich. He was born in Kent, England, leaving there in April, 185 8, on a sailing ship from New York. A brother accompanied him. He went to Ontario and worked on a hop farm for a short time. From there he journeyed to California, again working in the hop fields there. It was natural that he should be interested in hops, seeing that Kent is the major hop growing county in England.
He came from California in 1864, bringing some hop plants with him and immediately proceeded to North Saanich where, in partnership with a man 18 named Cloake, he started the hop growing industry. He then bought three hundred and eighteen acres which were bounded on the East by the West Road and on the North by the Downey Road. It reached down to the sea and what is now Towner Park was part of the farm. Towner Bay is also, of course, named after him. He built three hop houses or kilns, which were a landmark for many years. He also introduced the California grape but the venture did not thrive too well. He was a bachelor and at his death the land became the possession of some nieces. He did not mix much in community affairs. ISAAC CLOAK or CLOAKE was a pioneer farmer of Deep Cove who, with William Towner, commenced hop growing in North Saanich.
He came to a tragic end, having been burnt to death in his shack during the night of September 17th, 1876. He is buried in the cemetery of St. Stephen's Church. There is little information or data on him as he does not appear to have left any offspring or relatives. WILLIAM and CHARLES REAY were a couple of bachelors who came from England in 1854. After working and gold mining in the Interior for some years they came out to North Saanich and purchased eleven hundred acres. This tract of land stretched from midway of the present airport east to where the Brethour farms commenced, then along their south boundary to the sea. Some of it is now part of the airfield.
They were shipwrecked coming into the Esquimalt Harbor and had to come ashore by canoe. They would never venture on the sea again. A nephew, Thomas Robert Smith, came out to them in 1871. William Reay was the first magistrate in North Saanich. THOMAS MICHELL with his wife Margaret came from Swansea, Wales. They were of Huguenot stock who fled to the south of England from the religious persecution that occurred in France in the 16th and 17th centuries. Soon after their marriage the Michells emigrated to the U.S.A., arriving in Baltimore in 185 6. There was unrest in that country and a civil war in the offing. After two years they returned to Wales. A son was born to them in I 8 61. When this child was six months old they set out for the West again. This time they set their sights on the British Colony, Vancouver's Island. The long tedious voyage around the 19 Cape Horn was made in the sailing ship " Sylistra."
They were accompanied by Thomas Michell's sister and husband, A. Wynne, and their son George. Four months and eighteen days were taken for the trip. Mr. Michell's first venture in Victoria was operating a grocery store on Johnson Street and later on Government Street. He then got the gold rush fever and went to the Cariboo. He had some success and with his modest poke returned to Victoria and opened a hotel on Yates Street called the "What Cheer House." The Dominion Hotel now stands on the same site. In 1867 he went out to South Saanich and bought one hundred and twenty-five acres of land from a colored man by the name of Estes and an interesting receipt dated March 26th, 1868, states that Thomas Michell bought of Howard Estes 21 head of cattle, small and big, 18 pigs, 24 chicken and turkeys, 1 wagon and harness, 1 plow, milking pans, etc., for the sum of $650.00.
The witness to the receipt was an old pioneer lawyer of Victoria, H. F. Heisterman. Thomas Michell brought the first steam threshing outfit to Saanich. He also was interested in all community projects. He served as a school trustee for many years. Mrs. Michell was noted for her farm products, the surplus of which she sold in Victoria, transporting them there on horseback "sidesaddle." In addition she acted as a nurse to the sick neighbors. Many a child born in Saanich first saw the light of day aided by her helping hand. For her kindly help she became known as Lady of the Valley.
They had a family of six children ; "John R.", a one-time member of the B.C. Legislature; Mary Victoria (Mrs. P . Morley), who almost was kidnapped by an Indian; Margaret (Mrs. T. Smith); Emily J. (Mrs. Alex Menagh) ; George T., still living at the time of writing, and whose wife Eliza McGraw was the daughter of the man who introduced the Skylark to the Saanich Peninsula ; and William T., the youngest. From this branch of the family it appears the name of Michell will be perpetuated for many years. One of his sons is still living on the old homestead. WILLIAM TURGOOSE was born in Lincolnshire, England. He first emigrated to Illinois, U.S.A. While there he developed a horse trading business. ran a threshing machine and other agricultural pursuits.